Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Simplicity of the Person

     The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that people are simple AND deep. People can be both. People are simple in that they (we) all have pretty basic motivations that push our actions and thoughts. Even our more advanced, seemingly mysterious, behaviors often have common origins.
     I am not trying to belittle the "mystery of our existence" or anything. I am of the rather conventional opinion that each man makes his own meaning in life. That in and of itself is somewhat mystical. Rather, I think, when it comes to therapy, people share more concerns than differ in them. I think I am painting in somewhat broad strokes here (because, as we all know, if we get down to the minutia of motivation and will, there are myriad reasons as to why we act the way we do), but it seems to me that this might be a good way to start out.
     What I am hoping does not happen is an increase in a feeling of futility in writing on this subject because people are "simple." I think that even mentioning it shows that certain cogs are spinning to this tune. Out of self-preservation, it seems to me that stopping this train of thought holds great merit. But is that just lying to myself? Should I be pursuing this further?
     Were I to really believe this, it would be a somewhat bold and fantastic claim. It would signal my belief that this is the correct and only logical or true and to quasi-scientific/philosophical inquiry into the subject. It would signal that I am correct where so many others just as, and much more, talented than myself have failed. That is some kind of hubris. With that conclusion, I think that I must say that the belief is wrong. I say this for two reasons (other than the aforementioned). One: I need this line of inquiry. It keeps me questioning and developing in the craft of psychotherapy. It keeps my mind limber. Two: I don't think that there is any one answer to the question of "What is the best form of therapy?" or "What is the only form of therapy?". Such an end result, in my opinion cannot exist. To create such a balm would end therapy. We could then program a computer to do therapy. Because of the dynamic, intra- and inter-psychic forces between a therapist and client, depending on the therapist and client, it cannot exist. Personality is just as diverse as all the hues we can, and cannot discern. So, two personalities working close with one another increases those hues even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment