Monday, July 6, 2015

On-going Thoughts About Psychodynamics

     The more I think about it, the more psychodynamics makes sense. I've read somewhere that psychodynamics is psychotherapy, because it takes all origins into account (thoughts, feelings, history, present, future, etc.). I think the push-back here might come more based on how the therapy is set out. The basic tenets of psychodynamics involve a clinician ready to listen, a free associating client, and deep topics. 
     I'm not sure why I didn't consider psychodynamics in the past. In fact, I think I pretty much disregarded it completely. There is a certain hesitance to like psychodynamics . . . partially due to its similarity to psychoanalysis and its depth-based methodology. It's pretty easy to get intimidated by that.
     In any event, depth-based psychotherapies definitely vibe with me more than not. While there is a place for skills-based therapy - including REBT and DBT - getting to the root of the issue is really useful in creating real change. One can cover up maladaptive behavior with other behaviors, but understanding the self, including increased awareness and insight, can lead a person to change themselves, if wanted. I think that just gaining insight and awareness could be a goal unto itself. And just think of the changes, such as increased motivation and deeper self-understanding that might occur due to depth-based therapy than could happen during a CBT session!
     A big disadvantage of depth-based therapies is the fact that there are many clients that cannot or will not  engage in such therapy. I have met both types of clients. There are some who do not want to be told that a "deeper issue" exists, possibly due to a notion that they are conscious of the fact that there actually is a deeper issue to begin with. There are some who do not think that a deeper issues is possible. There are also many clients who just are not capable of talking about their own personal depth or just are not of a cognitive level to engage in such conversation. This is, I think, a main reason why many other orientations have found such a footing in the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment